The MCA is hereby presenting its final decision on the markets for wholesale voice call termination on individual public telephone networks provided at a fixed location in Malta, in accordance with the EU regulatory framework of electronic communications networks and services.
The MCA notified the current decision to the EU Commission prior to today’s publication. The EU Commission comments letter is available here.
Six relevant wholesale markets for the provision of fixed voice call termination on individual public telephone networks in Malta are identified in the current decision. These are:
- a market for the provision of fixed voice call termination services by GO plc;
- market for the provision of fixed voice call termination services by Melita Ltd;
- a market for the provision of fixed voice call termination services by Vodafone Malta Ltd.;
- a market for the provision of fixed voice call termination services by Ozone Malta Ltd.; and
- a market for the provision of fixed voice call termination services by Vanilla Telecoms Ltd.
These wholesale markets are not competitive and will not retract from this position during the timeframe of the review.To this effect GO plc., Melita Ltd., Vodafone Malta Ltd., Ozone Malta Ltd. and Vanilla Telecoms Ltd. are designated with SMP in their relevant market.
In view of this, the MCA is to impose the following regulatory obligations on all FNOs designated with SMP:
- access to/and use of specific facilities;
- transparency; and
- price control.
In addition the MCA is also imposing the cost accounting obligation on GO and Melita.
The current decisionfollows a national consultation exercise carried out from the 24th September 2018 to the 26th October 2018. The MCA received one response from Vodafone Malta Ltd. which has been taken into account in this final decision.