Position Title: Technical Specialist
Organisation: Malta Communications Authority
Prime Focus of Position
The Technical Specialist will participate in, and contribute to the implementation of various projects and on-going activities related to the regulation of electronic communications networks and services. Such activities include ensuring compliance with the relevant regulations as well as the development of policy and strategy documents shaping the future of electronic communications in areas such as spectrum management, quality of service, security and integrity of networks and infrastructure surveys and mapping.
The position will report to the Chief of Spectrum Management and Technology or a designated manager within the Unit.
- Develop or contribute to consultation documents, technical reports and policy or strategy documents relating to the regulation of electronic communications;
- Monitor and report on operator and service provider compliance to technical obligations such as quality of service and security;
- Surveying and mapping of electronic communications utilising methodologies for mapping infrastructure, service, demand, investment and funding;
- Conduct research in the demographics and socio-economic drivers for connectivity to analyse demand and investment aspects and determine funding opportunities;
- Conduct research on innovative technological developments in the electronic communications domain and report on emerging opportunities for Malta;
- Participate in various fora, including international fora, as may be required;
- Advise MCA’s executives on technical matters;
- Technical liaison with various stakeholders; and
- Conduct other duties related to the post as assigned by the Chief of Spectrum Management and Technology.
- Implement the project activities in accordance with agreed plans;
- Contribute to the business planning process and its implementation;
- Recommend new initiatives and work plans leading to the achievement of objectives relating to the Group’s functions; and
- Adhere to internal policies and procedures.
- Research and disseminate information with relevant stakeholders;
- Monitor progress of each critical phase of entrusted projects;
- Ensure quality and timeliness of the project outputs and results;
- Maintain all the relevant technical and financial documents; and
- Prepare and submit the relevant management and financial reports.
- Ensure proper communication and coordination between the different stakeholders taking part in assigned projects or on-going activities; and
- Maintain a close working relationship with all Groups and the Management Team to facilitate a cohesive and integrated approach in the MCA’s operations and the ultimate fulfilment of the strategic objectives of the organisation.
- Adopt a professional approach with third parties;
- Effective information management;
- Project leadership for the achievement of MCA’s objectives and strategies;
- Quality of reports and papers produced;
- Implementation of project and on-going activities; and
- Adherence to applicable policies and procedures.
Qualifications / Skills Required:
- A recognised qualification at MQF level 6 in Engineering, ICT, Business & IT, Physics or Geography disciplines;
- Preference will be given to candidates who have studied any of the following subjects: data communications, cybersecurity, electromagnetics, geographical surveys, GIS and qualitative or quantitative research methods;
- Preference will be given to candidates who are:
- working towards a postgraduate qualification at MQF level 7 and above in Engineering, ICT, Business & IT, Physics or Geography disciplines OR
- with professional qualifications in or equivalent to PRINCE2, CISA, or CRISC OR
- with relevant work experience in the telecommunications sector.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and presentation skills;
- Solid report writing skills to a standard suitable for published documents;
- Excellent oral and written command of Maltese and English;
- Proficiency in the use of office automation tools; and
- Ability to work without supervision.
Candidates are invited to send their covering letter and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org