Position Title: Legal Advisor
Organisation: Malta Communications Authority
Jobsplus Permit Number: 359/2021
Prime focus of position:
- As directed deals with inter-operator (all sectors) complaints and disputes processes.
- Assists and advises with regard to the implementation and enforcement of any regulatory obligations emanating from the laws enforced by MCA.
- Carries out any litigation on behalf of the MCA in relevant adjudicative fora.
- Carries out research functions in support of the Authority’s programmes, policies and initiatives in a pro-active and timely manner.
- Draws up analytical reports in relation to identified policy areas and assesses the implications of local and international developments on the Authority’s policies and strategy.
- Prepares and, or edits from a legal perspective, consultation documents for feedback by stakeholders, and final decisions as required.
- Provides legal advice in support of the regulatory functions of the MCA.
- Assists Government with legal drafting and advises Government on such matters as necessary
- Participates and/or contributes towards the achievement of MCA objectives across all operational disciplines.
- Provides legal input with regard to collection of dues, failure to provide regulatory information by operators.
- As required gives advice with regard to inter-operator disputes, end-user versus operator disputes, and any appeals from MCA decisions and complaints versus any operator.
- Provides input to litigation issues via the drafting of position papers, submissions of the MCA position to the relevant adjudicative forum and/or attendance at any such forum.
- Defends the MCA’s position in litigation matters in any adjudicative fora as required.
- Briefs and updates any outsourced legal or other resources engaged by the MCA as necessary, with a view to maximising their engagement.
- Proposes and drafts legal texts for the consideration of Government.
- Advises on the effective implementation and enforcement of any laws or regulatory decisions relating to the sectors falling within the remit of the MCA.
- Provides legal advice on decisions, strategy, consultative papers, position papers and any other matter requiring legal vetting or interpretation.
- Researches, collects and analyses information relevant to the various MCA policy areas for onward dissemination in the Authority.
- Assesses the impact of local and international trends and developments on the legal and regulatory framework of the MCA and recommends any required changes.
- Reviews Consultation Documents, final decisions as required and submits feedback as appropriate. .
- Participates in or manages projects and initiatives as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Carries out research with respect to policy areas assigned.
- Prepares impact assessment reports.
- Conducts research on local and international developments in the respective policy fields of the Authority.
- Contributes to the review and possible refinement of internal procedures and processes.
- Drafts or assists in the drafting/vetting of consultation papers and deals with the related processes leading up to the decision phase.
- Drafts or assists in drafting of legislation
- Drafts or assists in drafting of legal documents including court submissions
- Participates in projects as assigned.
- Communicates with the Operators and other key stakeholders, including contracted parties and the general public as necessary.
- Maintains a close working relationship with internal staff members to facilitate a cohesive and integrated approach in the Authority’s operations and the ultimate fulfilment of the Strategic objectives of the organisation.
- Communicates with the Office of the Attorney General, the Office of the State Advocate and other institutional players as necessary.
- Undertakes other assignments as directed.
- Consultation Documents
- Regulatory Decisions
- Policy Analysis
- Legal Advice
- Project Implementation
Qualifications / Skills Required:
- Is in possession of a warrant to practise as an advocate in Malta.
- Solid analytical and report writing skills coupled with an excellent command of verbal and written English and Maltese.
- Ability to carry out analytical and research work and to evaluate, assimilate and report on findings.
- Proficiency in the use of office automation tools.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Ideally has experience in the communications sectors falling under the remit of the MCA.
- Experience in legal drafting, court proceedings and a proven track record in litigation will be considered an asset.