Prime Focus of the Position
- Accountable for all external and internal communications which have a impact on the Authority’s public relations, both verbal and non-verbal, including public and media relations and event management.
- Develop, implement and evaluate communications strategies and plans that align with the organization’s strategic plan. Create goals and set measurable objectives. Monitor effectiveness and trends, ensure message accuracy, analyze and apply research.
- Participate and contribute towards the achievement of MCA objectives across all operational disciplines.
- Develop, maintain and ensure the effective implementation of the Authority’s communications policy and strategy including the annual communications plan and relevant budget.
- Provide support via strategic planning, design and implementation of communications and PR, to initiatives undertaken by the Authority and its Units.
- Design, develop and implement corporate communications campaigns. Work with Project Managers to determine media requirements for specific campaigns relating to the Authority’s initiatives. Using a campaign strategy, determine the budget, and oversee the design, implementation and effectiveness of these campaigns.
- Oversee the design, development, and content-writing, and coordinate the printing and distribution of the Authority ‘s Annual Report ensuring timely completion and compliance with statutory and legislative requirements.
- Manage outsourced services contracts in relation to communications and PR activity, reviewing the work completed by service providers.
- Design and develop tenders and related documentation for procurement in relation to PR activity and corporate events organised by the Authority and participate in the award process, including Chairing such adjudication committees when required.
- Co-ordinate the planning and organisation of, as well as the promotion of, corporate events organised by the MCA including logistics and branding.
- Establish and maintain close liaison and good working relations with all local media organisations. Initiates and/or reviews requests for media interviews, request for comment and press conferences and other news making opportunities.
- Prepare press announcements, speeches, articles in English and Maltese.
- Fulfil the role of liaison officer for any participation by the MCA in local media programmes.
- Develop, maintain and ensure adherence to an agreed style guide, including the development of templates for minutes, agenda papers, reports, and other external documents.
- Ensure that MCA’s website and online media channels deliver content which is relevant and well-targeted to their intended audiences. Fulfil the role of webmaster, proposing improvements and implementing as necessary.
- Ensure effective scanning of local media, including websites of interest, on a daily basis, the maintenance of records of all articles relating to the communications sector and advise on any remedial action that may need to be taken.
- Manage junior staff that are assigned with communications and PR tasks.
- Actively participate as an expert member in the BEREC Expert Networking Group on Communications and in the design and implementation of BEREC’s communications plan. Be willing to attend meetings of BEREC held in Brussels, Riga and to other European countries, as required.
- Provide guidance and expert advice to the CEO, the Chief and the Management Committee on communications and public relations, including on issues of a high-sensitivity nature to the Authority.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Chief of External Relations.
- External and Internal Communications.
Key Selection Criteria
- Be in possession of a recognised qualification a at MQF level 6 in the area of Communication Studies, Public Relations, Marketing, Business Studies, or a related discipline.
- Have at least 2 years work experience, preferably working in a similar position.
- Have excellent writing skills, preferably with experience in writing corporate reports, press releases, and media articles.
- Have excellent interpersonal, communication and negotiations skills.
- Be a dynamic, result-oriented and organised with a can-do attitude.
- Have high levels of conscientiousness, coupled with the ability to work under pressure and within a team.
- Be a self-starter who takes initiative and is able to work independently.
- Be proficient in the latest suite of office automation and in using online media tools.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, and knowledge and experience in video, digital or media production will be considered an asset.