The Malta Communications Authority is the National Supervisory Authority according to the Electronic Commerce Act.
The Directive is implemented into Maltese law by the Electronic Commerce Act established in Part V of the Act.
The Electronic Commerce Act establishes the following:
- Provision of signature certification services not subject to prior authorisation
- Service provider has a number of obligations vis-a-vis the qualified certificate
- Is liable for damages resulting from use of the certificate if certain steps not taken
- Requirements for qualified certificates
- Requirements for Signature Certification Service providers
- Requirements for Secure Signature-Creation Devices
- Requirements to be met during the Signature verification process
- MCA empowered to require audit against provisions at law